Why would the names of God be important to us? Well, God progressively reveals His character, His attributes, His glory, and much more, as we proceed from the first page of Genesis to the last page of Revelation. He shows us how He lovingly and kindly deals with His people, His chosen ones, His saints.
One of my favorite names of Jesus is “Emmanuel”, or “Immanuel”. It means, “God with us” (Matthew 1:23). The name “Jesus” means, “He will save His people from their sins” (Matthew 1:21). In Jeremiah 23, Jesus is prophetically called, “THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS”. What wonderful names! We are made righteous in God’s sight by Jesus.
Some of the names of God in the Old Testament are “Jehovah” or “LORD”:
- Jehovah-Ropheka: “Jehovah who heals you”, Exodus 15:26 (Moses)
- Jehovah-Meqaddeshkem: “Jehovah who sanctifies you”, Ex. 31:13 (Moses)
- Jehovah-Tsabaoth: “the LORD of hosts”, 1 Sam. 1:3 (Elkanah/Hannah)
- Jehovah-Elyon: “the LORD Most High”, Psalm 7:17 (King David)
- Jehovah-Roi: “the LORD [is] my Shepherd”, Psalm 23:1 (King David)
- Jehovah-Jireh: “Jehovah will provide”, Genesis 22:14 (Abraham)
- Jehovah-Nissi: “Jehovah is my banner”, Exodus 17:15 (Moses)
- Jehovah-Shalom: “Jehovah is peace”, Judges 6:24 (Gideon)
- Jehovah-Shammah: “Jehovah is there”, Ezekiel 48:35 (heavenly city)
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu: “Jehovah is our righteousness”, Jeremiah 23:6
When Moses takes his flock of sheep to the backside of the desert, he comes to Horeb, the mountain of God. There he sees a burning bush that is not consumed. There are three names given for God in Exodus 3. The first is “the Angel of the LORD” who is the Pre-Incarnate Jesus. He identifies Himself as “the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Later, Moses asks Him by what name he should address the children of Israel. The Pre-Incarnate Christ tells him, “I AM WHO I AM.” In John 8, Jesus tells the Jews, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” They take up stones to kill Him, because they know that He has called Himself God.
“The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe.” Proverbs 18:10
Learn the names of God and call upon Him to help you.